Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Food for Thought

EVERY TIME YOU BREATHE you express the name of God. [“I Am,” which is written with four Hebrew consonants, AHYH. When you pronounce the name God gave to Moses, you make the sound of breathing, You draw in a breath, EH, and you exhale YH, which sounds like yuh.]
The first sound a newborn makes is the name of God. The obstetrician listens for it. It comes first as a cry. Everyone thrills with the first sign that the baby can breathe. The last sound a dying person makes before leaving this earth is the name of God.
I find it profoundly meaningful that every mammal on earth begins and ends life pronouncing the name of God. It does not matter what theology I hold, I automatically, many times every day, say the name of God. Even if I am unconscious, I am constantly giving expression to the name of my Creator. There is never really any doubt about whose I am. I am because I belong to I AM. My existence is a gift from the One who is the source of all.

– J. David Muyskens
Sacred Breath 

No comments:

Post a Comment